Maybe I’m jumping the gun on this and good numbers of Cave Swallows will
be seen along the Atlantic coast of NY this weekend, but I find it
puzzling that so many have been seen down in Cape May recently and only
a handful here thus far.
Even taking into account Cape May’s history of hosting substantial
November incursions of Cave Swallows, and it’s penchant for
concentrating large numbers of southbound migrants in general, the
disparity between the numbers seen there over the past week (~400, Wed.
-- today) relative to the rest of the NE U.S. (16, 11 in only 6 eBird
reports plus Isaac Grant’s Staten Is. birds today) is striking. I don’t
think even the greater density of birders in Cape May would account for
such an imbalance. My understanding of past Cave Swallow invasions
(correct me if I’m wrong) had the birds being transported to the NE by
prolonged SW winds (like we’ve had recently) and first being seen in
numbers along the shores of the Great Lakes, then subsequently (1-2 days
later) along the Atlantic coast after the wind shifted NW. Any
hypotheses on how/why so many swallows have reached Cape May while
eluding detection by savvy birders elsewhere? Whatever the explanation,
I’ll be out early tomorrow looking for some — and Franklin’s Gulls too!