I understand as of 2 pm today the gyrfalcon had not been seen and many birders
were looking all day. I also read on an NjBIRDS post that a photographer
acknowledges finding a Gyr viewing location yesterday afternoon where he was
"hidden" behind an evergreen that allowed for "optimal viewing". The bird then
took off or so the report states (and apparently has not been seen by anyone
since).  I don't know him and certainly can't judge how close he got or the
propriety of a photographer getting close to such a rare bird -- a topic of
much comment through the years -- or whether his proximity had anything to do
with the bird taking off. It may just be hunkered down on this overcast day and
will show up again at Blue Chip Farm later today or tomorrow. I can say the
linked photo is really an excellent one.  His photos are posted under the nom
de plume "Larry Bird". As a Celtics fan since birth and growing up in Boston
during the Russell, Havlicek, Sam and KC Jones era you just can't call yourself
Larry Bird -- there being only one. Go Celts. Good luck with the Gyr if you're
there or if you go. Would be a lifer for me.

L. Trachtenberg
Ossining

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 26, 2015, at 8:48 AM, James Purcell