After a successful wild goose chase in Smithtown, I continued to have a great
day out at Montauk Point. I crossed paths and teamed up with lots of birders
throughout the day, and almost everyone had a spread of excellent sightings to
share. My personal highlights included the stunning views of the continuing
drake King Eider between the lighthouse and Camp Hero, a young Glaucous Gull
along with adult and subadult Iceland Gulls at the inlet to Lake Montauk, a
Red-necked Grebe at Culloden Point, and several Virginia Rails at Big Reed
Pond. The biggest surprise was a flyby Black Guillemot heading east, again
between the lighthouse and the CH bluffs. It appeared a bit duskier than the
photos of the bird from January 1st, with more pepper than salt in the plumage
of its upperside. I only saw it briefly before losing it in the swells, but the
chunky body, low, buzzy flight, and white wing patches were distinctive. There
were plenty of the expected sea ducks and loons off the point. Other birds of
note included Razorbills, goldeneye, scaup, Bufflehead, both cormorants, Purple
Sandpiper, Snow Geese, harrier, and Sharp-shin.

Cheers!
-Tim H

Sent from my iPhone