Sunday, 31 January, 2016

on Randall's Island, in the East River east of Manhattan island (N.Y. City), a Lapland Longspur was seen & photographed late this morning. I did not discover it, another birder checking the island just before I arrived did, first name Paul - and he gave me perfect directions to see the bird as well - the site is accessed (by car) from the RFK (aka "Triboro") bridge, getting off on Randall's Island - then to the Sunken Fields loop, which despite having a bit of snow is perfectly drivable; this loop is at the northeast corner of the island, & is east of the portion of the RFK bridge span (once on Randall's) which leads to the Bronx. The longspur was along the edge of the grass & also on rocks just up the bank from the water's edge (one is able to look east & north to both parts of n. Queens & the south Bronx from this point) and there are ballfields (partially covered with melting snow) numbered 31 (just to the north) and 28 (to the south) of the point the longspur was seeming to want to be. It's a large area there, however, and the longspur was entirely on its own, so it seemed, with no other passerines at all in the vicinity (which the other observer & discoverer also mentioned). I was able to approach within less than 10 yards for a few photos. Not a great many other birds were seen on or adjacent to Randall's island, mostly the most- common & expected species. Just slightly unexpected for the season was a Belted Kingfisher at a marshy area.

Yesterday (Sat. 30 Jan.) a good many observers were able to view an Iceland Gull in Central Park, at the reservoir; I am not aware of it being present today. Also Saturday, at the area on the Hudson river just north of W. 125 St. (n. of the piers) were 2 Canvasbacks, which were asleep when I viewed & photographed them, later in the day.

good birding, & thanks again to the kind birder I met at Randall's island,

Tom Fiore
Manhattan