I started the day at Hempstead Lake State Park, where I found early migrants
were quite active. Barn and Northern Rough-winged Swallows were seen over the
south lake within the large Tree Swallow flock. Also spotted both kinglets, a
male gnatcatcher, several bright Pine Warblers, and singing Yellow-rumps.
Jamaica Bay was very quiet for landbirds in the afternoon, but I managed to
find an adult Little Blue Heron, one Great and several Snowy Egrets, and my
first New York Laughing Gull of the year. Great Horned and Barn Owl at
Hempstead and Jamaica were welcome highlights. Can't wait for some real
migration movement!

HLSP: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S28853846

JBWR: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S28864057

Cheers!