First-of-the-season (*)

4/11/16 Long Lake (Hamilton Co.)

Bufflehead - pair on Little Tupper Lake (with a male Hooded Merganser)

Hooded Merganser - male with the Bufflehead pair

Great Blue Heron - flying over Tarbell Hill Lane in Long Lake

Gray Jay - 2 at Sabattis Bog

Boreal Chickadee - 2 at Sabattis Bog

Winter Wren - 1 at Sabattis Bog

The Pine Siskin invasion continues at our home.  I hope things will slow
down with the warm-up coming mid-week.

There were over 20 Blue Jays that flew in when I brought food for the Gray
Jays at Sabattis Bog - I agreed with the 2 Gray Jays that it was
overwhelming (and very loud!), so I drove down the road a bit.  I heard
Boreal Chickadees giving really interesting vocalizations right outside my
car window, so I stopped.  I was standing under a tree listening to the
Boreal Chickadee when one of the Gray Jays silently flew to a branch a few
inches over my head!  The communication was, "If you feed me here, those
Blue Jays won't know!"  So I walked to the car and brought back some raisins
and the Gray Jay very quietly cached them - the Blue Jays never noticed!

4/10/16 Newcomb, Minerva (Essex Co.), Long Lake (Hamilton Co.) and Tupper
Lake (Franklin Co.)

On a tour with 4 birders (2 from eastern Long Island and 2 from the Albany
area) we spent most of the day in boreal habitat.  It was a lovely day!
Here are some of the species found:

Amer. Black Duck

Ring-necked Duck

Hooded Merganser - several

Common Merganser

Ruffed Grouse - 1 displaying along Sabattis Circle Road

Wild Turkey

Turkey Vulture

Bald Eagle - 2

Sharp-shinned Hawk - 2

Red-tailed Hawk - 1

*Sandhill Crane - I heard that the Sandhill Crane pair had returned to
Tupper Lake last week.  At the end of the day, we ventured to Tupper Lake
and spotted the pair from Raquette River Road.  We stopped to look at
waterfowl and I noticed a "rock" way out in the marshes.  One of the Long
Island birders did too, but as we were driving away, he said we should back
up - and sure enough, the "rock" lifted its head from the vegetation and
moved!  We didn't see its mate, but after a while, it took flight and joined
the second bird farther away in the marsh.  They gave their trumpeting call
together several times - beautiful!

Black-backed Woodpecker - 4 (1 male working on its nest cavity in Newcomb, a
male and female observed in Minerva, and 1 heard giving the rattle call
along the Roosevelt Truck Trail in Minerva)

Northern Flicker

Pileated Woodpecker

Gray Jay - 3 (1 along Route 30 in Long Lake and 2 at Sabattis Bog in Long
Lake)

Common Raven

Boreal Chickadee - 2 in Newcomb

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper - several with a few singing

Winter Wren - several (including 2 singing)

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Amer. Robin

Waxwing species - flying flock of ~40 birds too far away to tell Cedar from
Bohemian

Amer. Tree Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Red-winged Blackbird

Common Grackle

Purple Finch - many singing!

Red Crossbill - 9 (2 flyover calling birds along Route 28N in Newcomb, 1
female observed with 2 Pine Siskins gritting in the road on Route 28N in
Minerva, and 6 found along Route 30 in Long Lake - including a couple of
fledglings!)

Pine Siskin - many!

Amer. Goldfinch

Evening Grosbeak - several, including a nice observation of a male in
Newcomb

4/9/16 Long Lake

Sadly, I found a dead Hermit Thrush in the road on Route 28N in Long Lake.
Hermit Thrushes and Amer. Robins spend a lot of time in the plowed roadways
when we have snowy conditions in April.

4/8/16 Tupper Lake (Franklin Co.)

Ring-necked Duck - many continue to be observed on Tupper Lake

Common Loon - on Simon Pond

4/7/16 Long Lake

*Northern Shoveler - pair observed on Long Lake!  This may be the first
record of this species in Hamilton Co. since it is not listed in Mike
Peterson's "Birds of Hamilton County, New York".  A photo is posted to my
Facebook page below.

Gray Jay - one at Sabattis Bog

4/6/16 Long Lake

*Common Loon - one observed on Little Tupper Lake

Amer. Kestrel - 1 along Route 30

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - a male that spent a long time eating sunflower
seed hearts at one of our feeders!  This is the first time I've observed
this species at a feeder.  I took photos and posted them to my Facebook page
below.

Gray Jay - 1 at the Round Lake Trailhead

Boreal Chickadee - 2 along Route 30

Joan Collins

President, NYS Ornithological Association

Editor, New York Birders

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell

(518) 624-5528 home