I have also noticed that there have been a number of days this season in which
there was good migration reported on the ground, but relatively low densities
seen on radar.  While the variation of wind direction at different altitudes
may offer a path for birds to migrate on nights that the predominant winds are
not favorable, It still doesn’t explain why more birds are not showing up on
radar.  Are they migrating so low that they fly “under the radar”?  Do they
have some sort of natural “stealth” mechanism to avoid showing up as
reflectance?  Or are the numbers still relatively modest but local weather
circumstances are just concentrating them in certain of our parks?

 It will be interesting to see what we see on the ground when the densities
pick up a bit.

Peter.