I spent over 5 hours at Jones Beach today with Brendan Fogarty, hoping that
last night's winds would bring new birds. When I first arrived it was still
rainy, foggy, cold, and seemingly devoid of landbird activity. We had a fairly
successful stakeout at the boat basin with a good range of shorebirds, the
highlights being a flyover Whimbrel and a large flock of Red Knots. Least and
Common Terns are back in small numbers, and cormorants were moving constantly.
As the rain died down, we witnessed a decent fallout and began to explore the
area for migrants. It turned out to be a very lively day with good activity
spread throughout the area. We tallied 15 warblers: Cape May (including a trio
of males moving together), Blackpoll, Magnolia, Chestnut-sided (heard only),
Black-throated Blue, Black-throated Green, Prairie, Palm, Parula, Ovenbird, N.
Waterthrush, Black-and-white, Yellowthroat, Yellow, and Yellow-rumped. The
Rumps, along with kinglets and gnatcatchers, made up the bulk of the flight.
Other birds of note included Purple Martins, Bank Swallow, Indigo Buntings,
Purple Finch, Glossy Ibises, RT Hummingbirds, RB Grosbeaks, late Merlins and
Sharp-shin, thrushes, orioles, vireos, and a female Scarlet Tanager. We saw a
possible adult male Summer Tanager fly from the coast guard hedgerow, seemingly
touching down in trees near the gazebo/sandbar area, but we could not relocate
it. Brendan snagged a few photos of the bird flying away, which are open for
scrutiny and comments. The pics can be found in the full checklist can be found
below. All told, we managed to just barely crack the triple digits for species
observed. What a morning!

Cheers!
-Tim H