After many early arrival records were set in early spring, migration slowed
(nearly to a halt) in late April and early May.  Arrivals in the Adirondacks
since late April have been the latest I’ve ever observed.

After very few Black Bear observations during the spring-summer-fall of
2015, 2016 is making up for it!  We’ve had the largest Black Bear we’ve ever
had visiting our home.  It discovered the cracked corn put out for Wild
Turkeys (& many other birds).  There have been Black Bear sightings all over
Long Lake and I also observed one in Newcomb.  Along the Round Lake Trail
where I bushwhack to feed Gray Jays, it appears a Black Bear has been
sleeping – 6 scats and round circles of grass crushed down.  “Bruno”
continues to visit our house every few days looking for more corn.  I
stopped feeding birds later than usual since I still had over 100 Pine
Siskins looking for food.  For the last few days of feeding, I took the
feeders in at night after Bruno arrived.  The last feeder was out with just
a few seeds in the bottom (it was basically empty) Monday night and the
feeder was gone on Tuesday morning.  It was my heaviest feeder and it is
mind boggling that Bruno could carry off such a heavy feeder in his mouth.
My husband has scoured the woods and there is no sign of it.  (Photos of
Bruno are on my Facebook page below.)

I never considered Wild Turkeys to be intelligent creatures, but I’ve
changed my mind!  We have a male turkey that we call the “stalker”.  It
climbs our back porch steps and stares at us through a glass door –
sometimes for ½ hour!  It does this even when the screen is in front of the
door – so it isn’t looking at a reflection.  It also discovered that it
could stand on a rock wall in our backyard and gobble non-stop while staring
at the back door – which results in me putting cracked corn out to shut it
up!  It watches me bring out the corn and doesn’t run away.  It has been a
bizarre experience!  The numbers of Wild Turkeys appear to be way up
everyone I go in the Adirondacks.

Three Common Ravens fledged from a nest (in a White Pine) in Long Lake on
Monday-Tuesday this week (nest found by Eric Damour).  It was comical to see
3 fully grown raven young standing in a nest waiting to be fed!  I continue
to feed 3 different pairs of Gray Jays, and they haven’t shown their young
yet – should be any day!  I observed another Common Raven nest on 5/19 on
private property in the Raquette Lake area (town of Long Lake) – it too had
3 young in the nest.

Betsy Folwell (Blue Mountain Lake) reported Wood Duck chicks running around
her deck on 4/29/16!  The earlier ice-out each year is making it possible
for waterfowl to nest much earlier.

On May 7, a Red Squirrel killed a Pine Siskin in front of me and consumed it
on our wood pile (I put one photo on Facebook).  Yesterday (5/24), I found a
headless Pine Siskin body in our backyard.  It will be a difficult nesting
year for many species with so many Red Squirrels around.

Snowshoe Hare numbers are also up and I am finding multiple hares
everywhere!

May sightings and arrival dates (* first of the season):

My first Dawn Tour up Whiteface Mountain (Essex Co.) was on Monday, May 23,
2016 with a wonderful young birder (22 years old) and his father from
Arkansas.  The young man had terrific eyes and ears, and he is heading into
an ornithology graduate program in the fall – it was great to be out with
him!  As with many talented young birders, his father was extremely
supportive and patient with us all day!  We found 60 species by visiting
Whiteface Mountain, roadside birding, and a trip on Blue Mountain Road (in
Santa Clara in the Madawaska area – Franklin Co.).  They birded the area for
3 days prior to our trip, so our tour was more targeted (BITH, BBWO, BOCH,
CAWA & some others).  Here are some of the species found:

American Black Duck – family group with 11 young

Ruffed Grouse – several including one dust-bathing

Wild Turkey

Sharp-shinned Hawk

Broad-winged Hawk

*Chimney Swift (first of the season for me)

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Black-backed Woodpecker – 2 in different locations (foraging & calling
female; and male at its nest site on eggs)

Northern Flicker

Merlin

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher – several on Whiteface

Least Flycatcher

Common Raven

Tree Swallow

Boreal Chickadee – nice views of 2 different birds on Whiteface!

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet – many on Whiteface

Eastern Bluebird

Bicknell’s Thrush – the young man was a dedicated eBird reporter and counted
29 in 4 hours! We had nice views of 2.  There was some singing early in the
morning and lots of calling on this beautiful day.

Swainson’s Thrush

Wood Thrush

Ovenbird

Northern Waterthrush

Black-and-white Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

American Redstart

Northern Parula

Magnolia Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Blackpoll Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Pine Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Canada Warbler – as the young man was photographing a Canada Warbler, a
female Black-backed Woodpecker showed up to forage on a blown down tree a
few feet from us!

Savannah Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Scarlet Tanager

Purple Finch

Pine Siskin

We also observed Snowshoe Hares and lots of Moose tracks in Santa Clara.  I
observed the first Eastern Tiger Swallowtail of the season.

On a half-day tour on May 22, 2016 with 3 birders (2 from Ogdensburg and 1
from Canton), we found 52 species visiting Massawepie Mire (St. Lawrence
Co.).  Here are some of the species found:

American Bittern

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Northern Flicker

Pileated Woodpecker

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Alder Flycatcher

Least Flycatcher

Gray Jay – 2

Common Raven

Tree Swallow

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Eastern Bluebird

Veery

Hermit Thrush

Wood Thrush – 2

Ovenbird

Black-and-white Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Mourning Warbler – beautiful views!

Common Yellowthroat

American Redstart

Northern Parula

Magnolia Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Palm Warbler

Pine Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Canada Warbler

Savannah Sparrow – they nest in one section of the mire each year

Lincoln’s Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Scarlet Tanager

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Purple Finch

We also observed Snowshoe Hares and lots of Moose tracks at the mire.

On my drive home, I checked a location for Philadelphia Vireos in Tupper
Lake and found 3 singing!  (I’ll add a photo to my Facebook page today.)

Eleven people took part in the Northern NY Audubon field trip to Massawepie
Mire on Saturday, May 21, 2016.  Here are some of the 55 species found:

Broad-winged Hawk – 2

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Black-backed Woodpecker – 2 heard calling

Pileated Woodpecker

Merlin

*Yellow-bellied Flycatcher – 2

*Alder Flycatcher – 2

Least Flycatcher

Gray Jay – 2

Common Raven

Tree Swallow

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

*Veery – 2

Swainson’s Thrush – 1

Hermit Thrush

Wood Thrush – 1

Ovenbird

Black-and-white Warbler

Nashville Warbler

*Mourning Warbler – many

Common Yellowthroat

American Redstart

Northern Parula

Magnolia Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Palm Warbler

Pine Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Canada Warbler

Savannah Sparrow

Lincoln’s Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Scarlet Tanager

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Purple Finch

Pine Siskin

Later that day, I found an American Bittern and Great Blue Heron on Shaw
Pond in Long Lake.

May 20, 2016 Long Lake (Hamilton Co.)

Barred Owls – 4 vocalizing outside our home just before darkness fell.  I
hooted and one flew in by our porch – we called back and forth for about 15
minutes!

Black-backed Woodpecker – a bird calling non-stop along the Round Lake Trail
where I feed Gray Jays

*Eastern Kingbird – Sabattis Circle Road near the Little Tupper Lake inlet

*Warbling Vireo – same as above

*Red-eyed Vireo – Sabattis Circle Road

Gray Jay – 6 (3 pairs in Long Lake)

*Gray Catbird – Little Tupper Lake inlet

May 19, 2016 Private Property in the Raquette Lake area (town of Long Lake)
New arrivals:

*Spotted Sandpiper

*Great Crested Flycatcher

*Swainson’s Thrush

*Canada Warbler

*Scarlet Tanager

May 17, 2016 – Black Bear observed in Newcomb (Essex Co.)

May 14, 2016 Long Lake & Newcomb & Minerva

*Ruby-throated Hummingbird – at our home (very late arrival date)

Black-backed Woodpecker – 3 in Minerva

*Northern Waterthrush – Newcomb

Rusty Blackbird – bird singing and appearing to be at a nest in Long Lake
area

May 13, 2016 Long Lake

Black Bear showed up at our home (after spending several days at another
Long Lake home in the area).  Snowshoe Hares and a Porcupine were observed
along Sabattis Circle Road.

May 12, 2016 Bloomingdale (Franklin Co.) & Long Lake

Gray Jay – 10! (6 at Bloomingdale and 4 in Long Lake)

On a half-day tour on May 11, 2016 with 2 birders from Queensbury, we
visited Massawepie Mire.  Here are some of the 54 species found:

Ruffed Grouse – several drumming

Broad-winged Hawk

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Northern Flicker

Pileated Woodpecker

Merlin – heard on our drive in

Least Flycatcher – many!

Gray Jay – 4

Common Raven

Tree Swallow

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Hermit Thrush - several

*Wood Thrush – 1 singing!

Ovenbird

Black-and-white Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

American Redstart

Northern Parula

Magnolia Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler

Yellow Warbler

*Chestnut-sided Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Palm Warbler

Pine Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

*Lincoln’s Sparrow – many with nice views of several!

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

White-crowned Sparrow - migrants

Dark-eyed Junco

Rose-breasted Grosbeak – several

Red-winged Blackbird

Common Grackle

Purple Finch

Pine Siskin

On a May 10, 2016 tour with 2 birders (one from North River and one from
Holland Patent), we visited Newcomb, Minerva, Long Lake, and Tupper Lake
(Essex, Hamilton, and Franklin Counties)  Here are some of the 62 species
found:

Canada Goose – with adorable young along the Raquette River in Tupper Lake!

Ring-necked Duck – 8

Common Merganser

Ruffed Grouse

Wild Turkey

Common Loon – 2 on Simon Pond in Tupper Lake

*American Bittern – 4 (1 vocalizing at the marsh in Newcomb and 3 standing
near each other at the Tupper Lake Marsh)

*Green Heron – flying over the wetland along the railroad bed in Minerva

Osprey – 3 (1 flyover in Newcomb and 2 at their nest at Minnow Pond in Long
Lake along Route 30)

Bald Eagle – 1 adult in Tupper Lake

Northern Harrier – female in Tupper Lake

Broad-winged Hawk – several including mate feeding along Sabattis Circle
Road in Long Lake!

Sandhill Crane – brief view of one in the marsh between Raquette River and
Simon Pond in Tupper Lake

Belted Kingfisher

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Black-backed Woodpecker – 5 (1 in Newcomb and 4 in Minerva)

*Least Flycatcher – 4

Eastern Phoebe – several

Blue-headed Vireo

Gray Jay – 6 in Long Lake

Common Raven

Tree Swallow

Barn Swallow

Boreal Chickadee – 2 in Long Lake

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Hermit Thrush

Black-and-white Warbler

Nashville Warbler

*Common Yellowthroat

*American Redstart

*Magnolia Warbler

*Blackburnian Warbler

Yellow Warbler

*Black-throated Blue Warbler

Palm Warbler

Pine Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Song Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

White-crowned Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Red-winged Blackbird

Common Grackle

Purple Finch

Pine Siskin

Evening Grosbeak – at least 2 in Newcomb with nice views of a female!

May 9, 2016 Long Lake

Four Northern Shovelers were observed on the inlet of Little Tupper Lake!
(This was a new species for Hamilton Co. when I found a pair on April 7,
2016 on Long Lake!)

May 7, 2016 Long Lake

*Northern Parula

*Yellow Warbler

May 6, 2016 Spring Pond Bog complex (Franklin Co.)

*Black-and-white Warbler

*Nashville Warbler

May 4, 2016 Long Lake

*Ovenbird

April 30, 2016 Long Lake – Tupper Lake – Bloomingdale

Ruffed Grouse – 17!

*Greater Yellowlegs – 1 in Tupper Lake

Black-backed Woodpecker – 6 including a nest site with a hole only 3 feet
above the ground!  This is the lowest I’ve ever found a nest cavity – I hope
it works out for the woodpeckers.

April 29, 2016 Long Lake

*Black Flies hatched!  (Early)

I’ll be adding more photos to my Facebook page today.

Joan Collins

President, NYS Ornithological Association

Editor, New York Birders

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell

(518) 624-5528 home