I met an Australian birder at Jamaica Bay who really wanted to see Piping
Plovers so I took him to breezy point. I was expecting it to pour on us so I
left my camera and phone in the car. We parked at Tilden and walked a good ways
down the beach until we found a large loafing flock. Mixed in with them was a
first summer Arctic Tern. Seen on the ground through scope for about 2 minutes
among common terns and then seen in flight as well when birds were flushed by a
beach walker. Bird flew off over the ocean and I lost it flying out to sea.
Also present were 7 1st summer Common Terns.

I was eventually chased off the beach by an angry and hostile Breezy resident
who was completely unimpressed by an Arctic Tern on "his" beach. Bird was seen
about 5:45 and I've just gotten back to the car.

Isaac Grant
Senior Loan Officer