This afternoon while returning home from Rhinebeck in Dutchess County, with my
Wife and Daughter, I stopped at Hopeland Trails on Old Post Rd., Staatsburg, NY
to check on the Chat reported by John Askildsen weeks ago.  After about five
minutes of listening, we were able to hear the bird calling from East of the
parking lot.  We continued south and crossed the Hudson into Ulster County.  We
then chose an odd path home by cutting through the property of the Shawangunk
and Wallkill Correctional facilities, just to the East of the Shawangunk
Grasslands.  To our great surprise, at 7:45PM, we stumbled upon a VERY white
SNOWY OWL on the prison grounds.  My father, Ken McDermott was close by and was
able to share in the sighting.  Can't say I have ever had both species in the
same day and have certainly never been wearing shorts before while looking at a
Snowy Owl.  You just never know!!
See Birds,                Curt McDermott