From: bounce-120587102-11143...@list.cornell.edu
[bounce-120587102-11143...@list.cornell.edu] on behalf of Deborah Allen
[dalle...@earthlink.net]
Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2016 4:04 PM
To: NYSBIRDS-L
Subject: [nysbirds-l] Central Park NYC - Sunday June 26, 2016 - R-b Nuthatch
Arrival, late date Black-and-white Warbler

Central Park NYC - Ramble
Sunday June 26, 2016
OBS: Robert DeCandido, PhD, Deborah Allen, m.ob. on bird walk starting from
Turtle Pond at 9am

Highlights: Jeff Ward spotted a Red-breasted Nuthatch at the Maintenance Field.
Red-breasted Nuthatch does not summer in Central Park, and today's
Red-breasted Nuthatch represents the park's earliest fall arrival date.
We found two Red-breasted Nuthatches yesterday, June 25th, at the NYBG
(Bronx), so these birds may also have been very early fall arrivals. A
Red-breasted Nuthatch was also reported today from Brooklyn by Tom
Preston via twitter.

The group found two Black-and-white Warblers, one in Mugger's Woods, the other
at the Tupelo Field. This is the latest spring date we know of for
Black-and-white Warbler in Central Park. The previous record was June 25, 2006
(spotted by Sandra Critelli on another of our bird walks). One of the birds
(female - Mugger's Woods) is likely the bird we saw last week, the other was an
adult male still in alternate plumage at the Tupelo Field. It becomes difficult
to tell at this time of year whether this new Black-and-white Warbler
represents a lingering spring migrant, an early fall migrant or "post-breeding
dispersal."