Had the day off so went to Montezuma from mid morning to mid afternoon
Today.
Even though the heat of summer continues to build fall shorebird migration
has begun
as others have noted. Started at Knox-Marcellus Marsh from Towpath Rd. Road
is dry so not
as bad but still very uneven with giant potholes ("pot"hole is an
understatement in places!!!).

LESSER YELLOWLEGS have been very common. I estimated about 200 birds. There
were
at least a few GREATER YELLOWLEGS but by far LESSER predominate. Also there
were
several flocks of peeps with many hiding down low in the mud and emergent
vegetation. They
were all LEAST SANDPIPERS except for 2 nice PECTORAL SANDPIPERS. I could
have
missed others as there were so many distant birds. There were also many
KILLDEER
some with young, at least 10 SPOTTED SANDPIPERS around, and 7 DOWITCHER sp.
that have been seen and IDed as Long-Billed. They were very distant for me
as some looked
like they had that "hump" shape but again distance was my problem. I was
able to digi-scope
these guys through my scope on 70X and got some poor images. If someone can
point out
any discernable field marks on these dowitchers please share offline to my
email address.
Photos are below.

The CASPIAN TERNS are increasing and at one point I had 22, 17 on the
ground and 5 flying around.
There were 13 BLACK TERNS. I managed a nice photo of one in flight.

In addition to the shorebirds and terns, I had a TUNDRA SWAN!! This bird
had a smaller more curved
bill, the eye was separate from the bill and most telling was a light
yellow dot at the front of the eye!!
There was also a TRUMPETER SWAN for comparison. Additionally, the lingering
2 SNOW GEESE
continue and I also had a male REDHEAD molting toward its eclipse plumage
at Puddler's marsh
from Towpath road. Photos are below.

Wildlife drive was fairly quiet, lots of MARSH WRENS, the SOLITARY
SANDPIPER is back in his spot
in that little stream before Larue's and Eaton Marsh has mainly LESSER
YELLOWLEGS.

For my ebird lists see.... http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S30543854

For my photos of the day see...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/davenicosia/albums/72157670005509232