On Thursday, June 30, 2016, I stopped along Raquette River Drive in Tupper
Lake to see if I could spot the Sandhill Cranes.  There have not been any
recent observations of the cranes in the open field along Stetson Road, so I
assumed they were likely nesting in the marsh this year.  I spotted one
adult Sandhill Crane with a juvenile at the edge of the marsh - closer to
the Raquette River than Simon Pond!  I was just about to take a photo when I
had a negative experience with a person temporarily staying at one of the
houses (similar to Dana's recent situation at Massawepie).  All the home
owners along the road are quite excited about the cranes, and I believe the
young man has been spoken to, so the situation is likely resolved.  The
police assure me that it is perfectly legal to stop your car in a public
road to take a photo as long as you are not blocking traffic (there is no
"traffic" on this quiet road!).

I was out with some great people from NYC Audubon over the long weekend and
we stopped at the Raquette River marsh in Tupper Lake on Sunday, July 3rd
and observed 2 adult Sandhill Cranes with 2 juveniles feeding at the edge of
the marsh along Simon Pond!  A few people in the group took videos of the
family of 4!  This documents the first breeding record for this species in
the Adirondacks - very exciting!  The cranes were a good distance away and
the scopes were set up high - the NYC group had a little stair stool for
their van and we used that to reach the scope for viewing!  There was a
friendly homeowner watching us, and one person joked that we should ask to
use their much higher deck for viewing the cranes, but we didn't go that
far!

There is a canoe outfitters right near this location (it would only take a
few minutes to canoe from the outfitters to the marsh):
http://raquetteriveroutfitters.com/ .  When we observed the cranes on
Sunday, I was thinking we would have had a fantastic view if we were in a
boat on Simon Pond!  The cranes were at the edge of the water.

I haven't had time to post birds to the list serve or post photos to
Facebook - I hope to catch up today.  On Sunday, we also found Wilson's
Snipes calling and winnowing as we watched the cranes.  An Eastern Kingbird
has an active nest on top of a dead snag in the Raquette River along the
road also.  I'll post more later today.

Joan Collins

President, NYS Ornithological Association

Editor, New York Birders

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell

(518) 624-5528 home