Hey Peter,

I was so very disappointed to read Dave La Grange’s message and watch Dave his
video of him pursuing the Sandhill Crane.  It was so obvious that as he
approached the crane, that the crane was walking away from him and even sounded
just before it took off.  He writes:  “...trying to chase him down to our pond
so others could view from the road…” indicates to me that he is a person who is
ignorant of the sensitivities and ethics that govern responsible birdwatching
and bird photography/videography.

This is really a teachable moment for this man.  It appears that his intentions
seem without ill-intent.  However, in a kind way, he needs to be told (gently)
that he is harassing this bird.

Kind Regards.

Charleen Turner, MA
(NYS Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator)

> On Aug 17, 2016, at 9:58 PM, Peter Feinberg <peter.feinb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I received the following message from the landowner where the Sandhill Crane
> has been camping out:
>
> "I thought I would pass along a little video considering I can usually get
> within 18 to 20 feet from the bird. He's been here about three weeks . I've
> walked up to him  roughly 6 times, 3 of which trying to chase him down to our
> pond so others could view from the road. He usually makes a tight circle and
> lands 50 yards away.  I hope everybody can enjoy this sincerely Dave La
> Grange"
>
> The video can be viewed on youtube, https://youtu.be/YRQO99pToVc
> <https://youtu.be/YRQO99pToVc>
>
> --