Sat.-Sunday, 27-28 August, 2016 -
CentraI Park, Manhattan, N.Y. City

WhiIe a great many birds were on the move on the nights of this past
Friday & especiaIIy Saturday into the weekend mornings, not a very
great many stopped off in CentraI Park, and it required searches to
Iocate much of diversity in migrant species, but with efforts, these
couId be found & there were at Ieast a few highIights too.

Unexpected was a Pied-biIIed Grebe at the reservoir, which I spotted
at sunrise in the NE sector moving SE, on Sun. morning & stiII present
Iater.  A YeIIow-breasted Chat popped in at Strawberry FieIds a short
time after earIy Sunday a.m., specificaIIy just north of the American
HoIIy grove & then down to the east sIope of Strawberry adjacent to
the W. Drive (park road), but it couId not be found Iater, & seems
others trying did not come up with it; the totaI time it was in view
for me was perhaps 5 seconds, a fairIy typicaI chat-encounter.  Other
birds both Sat. & Sun. seemed more numerous in the RambIe, migrant
types anyhow, and incIuded such warbIers as Tennessee, NashviIIe,
BIackpoII, & up to a dozen or so additionaI to these mentioned. The
overaII sense however was of a miIIion birds passing in the night, and
at best 0.01% getting into this city park for a rest & some food.
There was a bit of diurnaI fIight with icerideae, especiaIIy of the
OrioIe kind, weII-represented, as observed.  The BIue Jays aIso seemed
to be moving a IittIe & that seems awfuIIy earIy, if it is reaI
movement, then possibIy from a Iack of food, brought on by drought [?]

Since Steve WaIter (& others now & then) added butterfIy sightings
into bird reports, I'II mention that partIy in company with Mike
Freeman & seeking out many insect species in CentraI Park on Sunday,
there were 25 spp. of butterfIy seen incIudIuding one CIoudIess
SuIphur (that's the big one that's mainIy southern-southwestern-south
of U.S. & invades the northeast in many-most years, most evident in
NYS on our coastaI area) which I photo'd poorIy but recognizabIy, pIus
a Common Buckeye that Mike F. photo'd., & a Fiery Skipper among more-
numerous Sachems, & more-usuaI-for-CentraI Park species - that's a
good taIIy of species for any day out in NYC, & a very good taIIy for
CentraI, as known from many past days in the park with the Iikes of
Nick Wagerik, who saw & ID'd more insect species in his days than
anyone in CentraI at that time, & often for the benefit of others,
occasionaIIy incIuding me.  I may as weII aIso add that Steve WaIter's
note on an "odd" (his phrase) coIIection of birds apparentIy mobbing
something at Jamaica Bay refuge were aII fuIIy-expected-this-faII
migrants &, for Red-breated Nuthatch, anyone foIIowing the reports
knows that we are seeing a big - VERY big - movement of these (some
reports from coastaI northeast Iocations mentioning up to 15-20+ at
one site in 1 day or even at one time!) with a minimum of 5 of that
species present in CentraI Park in Manhattan on Saturday, 3 of those
in one spot at one time (the Great HiII).  [and, yes I know & respect
Steve WaIter's naturaIist knowIedge, and reaIize he may have been
pointing out the "odd" combo for a mobbing party, as reported from
Sunday.] PersonaIIy I enjoy seeing a few things besides birds and
seeing them added into bird reports here & there, even on a bird-Iist,
just my 2 cents. Thanks for your induIgence or your contributions of
such sightings :-)(& as some are winged migrants, Monarch being about
the best-known, but pIenty of other bugs migrate as weII)

Thanks ~ to many patient, quiet, & considerate observers who made many
observations & added to understanding.

beIow Iist for both weekend days, Aug. 27 & 28 in CentraI Park:

Pied-billed Grebe (reservoir Sunday, muItipIe observers)
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Green Heron
Black-crowned Night-Heron
Turkey Vulture (Iow fIyover, Sunday - reaIIy, reaIIy Iow)
Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Gadwall
American Black Duck
Mallard
Northern Shoveler
Osprey
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel
Peregrine Falcon
Solitary Sandpiper (Meer but not Iingering Sat.)
Spotted Sandpiper
Laughing Gull (intermittent at Reservoir, &/or overhead)
Ring-billed Gull
Herring Gull
Great Black-backed Gull (very common now at Reservoir)
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Yellow-billed Cuckoo (& cuckoo 'sp.', either this or BIack-biIIed)
Common Nighthawk (few, Sat. very earIy)
Chimney Swift (many)
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Belted Kingfisher
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
YeIIow-shafted Flicker
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Empidonx [genus] Flycatcher (fair no's.)
Eastern Phoebe
Great Crested Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird (continue in diurnaI movement)
Warbling Vireo (muItipIe)
Red-eyed Vireo (muItipIe)
Blue Jay (many)
American Crow
Tree Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Barn Swallow (many)
Black-capped Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Red-breasted Nuthatch (at Ieast 5 on Saturday, aIso present Sun.)
White-breasted Nuthatch
House Wren
Veery (few)
Swainson's Thrush (just 2, noted Sat.)
Wood Thrush
American Robin
Gray Catbird
Northern Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing

Blue-winged Warbler
Tennessee Warbler (RambIe, Sat.-Sun.)
Nashville Warbler
Northern Parula
Yellow Warbler (muItipIe)
Chestnut-sided Warbler (semi-common)
Magnolia Warbler
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler
Blackpoll Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler (muItipIe)
American Redstart (muItipIe)
Ovenbird (muItipIe)
Northern Waterthrush
Common Yellowthroat (muItipIe)
Wilson's Warbler
Canada Warbler
Yellow-breasted CHAT (Strawberry FieIds, 6:20 a.m. Sunday)

Scarlet Tanager (few)
Eastern Towhee
Chipping Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Bobolink (few noted in earIy a.m. fIights)
Red-winged Blackbird
Common Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
Baltimore Oriole (MANY, in earIy a.m. fIights, up to 20+ on both days!)
Purple Finch (singing maIe in non-breeding pIumage, RambIe, Sat.)
House Finch
American Goldfinch (many, incIuding some very earIy fIight)
House Sparrow

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom
they oppress."
- Aug 3, 1857: Frederick Douglass, American. [1817-1895]

Good & respectfully quiet birding to all,

Tom Fiore
Manhattan