Jim Cullen and I birded the low tide this morning at the Cupsogue Beach area
spending most of our 3 hrs.on “Bird Island” just to the west of Cupsogue(tidal
island accessible only at low tide by boat).This area was loaded with birds
with many hundreds of Sanderling being the most numerous species.Of note were
120 Red Knot;not a single one was tagged or flagged.Also,we had nice views of a
 juvenile  Western Sandpiper,two Dunlin and two very cooperative Pectoral
Sandpipers.We also had two calling Whimbrel fly over and plenty of competition
with diving raptors scaring thousands of birds up at once.
Thanks Lee Stocker