The birding was slow on a rising tide at Cupsogue this afternoon. Not as many
Royal Terns as last week, with only 29 seen today, split 16/13 between Cupsogue
Flats and Pikes Beach.

Shorebirds were sparse unlike last week where many were on the Hurricane Sandy
created spit north of the flats. Today, there were scattered single digit
numbers of Sanderlings, Black-bellied Plovers and Semipalmated Plovers.

An amazing site of thousands of Swallows (mostly Tree), high up apparently
insect catching was observed near the inlet. Mei Yee and I would have missed
this entirely, had we not taken the time to count a flock of fly by
Double-crested Cormorants. The sheer number of Swallows and distance made them
look like insects until we put a scope on the swirling mass.

Birding Dune Road with stops at Tiana Beach and Shinnecock Inlet, proved to be
non productive. We did however count 11 Cooper's Hawks and 8 Northern Harriers.
Perhaps an indicator of some raptor movement.

Seawatching, was dead on arrival and no different by the time we pulled out.

Cheers,

--------
"I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of
others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence." ~ Frederick
Douglass

風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire