Weather conditions were pretty good for passerine migration over the weekend.  I spent almost 4 hours each morning out in the yard to see what would turn up.  Both mornings started out with clear skies and temperatures in the low to mid 40's with light north winds.  BLUE JAYS were the most prominent migrant with 1530 passing by on Saturday morning, and another 2301 counted on Sunday.  Highlights from Saturday include my first PINE SISKIN of the season at my feeders, a few RUSTY BALCKBIRDS singing in flight overhead, 2 flyover AMERICAN PIPITS, 2 SWAINSON'S THRUSHES feeding in one of the Black Cherry trees in the yard, and a small kettle of hawks that included 3 BROAD-WINGS, a RED-SHOULDER, and a COOPER'S HAWK.

On Sunday morning my first WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS of the season showed up. CANADA GEESE were on the move with multiple flocks of high flying geese headed south.  Both RED-BREASTED (6) and WHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCHES (5) were also on the move, and I had more RUSTY BLACKBIRDS, 2 more flyover AMERICAN PIPITS, and 2 (more/the same?) SWAINSON'S THRUSHES.

eBird checklists for both days are pasted below.

Constantia Yard, Oswego, New York, US
Sep 24, 2016 6:30 AM - 10:20 AM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments: Clear skies, light N winds, 44 deg F, sunrise at 0654.
38 species (+2 other taxa)

Canada Goose 10
Mallard 4 all female
Sharp-shinned Hawk 4
Cooper's Hawk 3
Bald Eagle 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Broad-winged Hawk 3
Killdeer 3
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 41
Mourning Dove 6
Red-bellied Woodpecker 2
Downy Woodpecker 1
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 2
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Eastern Phoebe 1
Blue Jay 1530
nice push of BLJA in the morning.
9 between 0630 and 0700
190 between 0700 and 0800
713 between 0800 and 0900
606 between 0900 and 1000
12 between 1000 and 1020
American Crow 5
Common Raven 1
Black-capped Chickadee 3
Tufted Titmouse 4
Red-breasted Nuthatch 1
White-breasted Nuthatch 6
Swainson's Thrush 2
Wood Thrush 1
American Robin 2
Gray Catbird 3
European Starling 1
American Pipit 2
Cedar Waxwing 15
Pine Warbler 1 singing
Song Sparrow 1 singing
Northern Cardinal 3
Red-winged Blackbird 1
Rusty Blackbird 4 singing
blackbird sp. 12
Pine Siskin 1
American Goldfinch 3
House Sparrow 4
passerine sp. X anywhere between 20 and 30 other unidentified passerines

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S31740563

Constantia Yard, Oswego, New York, US
Sep 25, 2016 6:30 AM - 10:30 AM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments: Clear skies, 40 deg F, light N winds, sunrise at 0655
38 species

Canada Goose 306 many groups of migrating geese
Wood Duck 1
Double-crested Cormorant 1
Great Blue Heron 1
Sharp-shinned Hawk 3
Cooper's Hawk 1
Broad-winged Hawk 1
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 15
Mourning Dove 3
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Downy Woodpecker 1
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 1
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Blue Jay 2301
another good BLJA flight.
16 between 0630 and 0700
693 between 0700 and 0800
900 between 0800 and 0900
498 between 0900 and 1000
194 between 1000 and 1030
American Crow 4
Tree Swallow 1
Black-capped Chickadee 7
Tufted Titmouse 2
Red-breasted Nuthatch 6
White-breasted Nuthatch 7 including 5 migrants
House Wren 1
Golden-crowned Kinglet 2
Swainson's Thrush 2
Wood Thrush 1
American Robin 3
Gray Catbird 4
European Starling 1
American Pipit 2
Cedar Waxwing 45
Yellow-rumped Warbler 2
White-throated Sparrow 3 first of the season
Song Sparrow 1 singing
Northern Cardinal 6
Red-winged Blackbird 6
Rusty Blackbird 12 2 separate groups of birds (9 and 3) with singing birds in both
American Goldfinch 9
House Sparrow 3

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S31747483

Mickey Scilingo