On a gloomy and damp Sunday morning 25 or more people showed up for one of our
City Island Birds Fall walks. We birded the edges of the Orchard Beach parking
lot from the lagoon to Hunter Island. In the beginning it was tough to move
from the lagoon because of the many diving Osprey. There were 5 perched up in
two dead trees and a few more overhead. In all, we probably saw 14. As the
morning progressed, the areas seemed to get birdier. Our group is always
extremely congenial and the social aspect today was as good as the seeing the
birds. Our walks are always non-competitive and friendly.

Pelham Bay Park birding can be more challenging than other NYC parks. The woods
are natural and very little, if any, areas are manicured. With perhaps only two
or three of us birding this park with regularity, it’s very likely many birds
are missed during the year.

In most cases there were a few of each species reported below.

Osprey (14 or so)
Parula Warbler
Brown Thrasher
Downy Woodpecker