Despite a poor showing on the morning radar and a dismal start to the day at
Robert Moses, Jones Beach has served up a lovely bit of excitement. The pair of
Caspian Terns continue at the boat basin, seen resting on Short Beach earlier
and one in flight just now. A Dickcissel was heard repeatedly calling from the
outer turnaround as I watched a young White-eyed Vireo chase a Blue-headed in
the bushes at the main turnaround. Stacey and Kurt found a bird of interest by
the coast guard fence near the fisherman's road, flagging me over to confirm
their Blue Grosbeak. Tree Swallow numbers exceed 1000, and there are plenty of
Yellow-rumps, flickers, and nuthatches around. A single Blackpoll was the only
non-Myrtle warbler IDed, though there have been plenty of rapid flybys and
flyovers. Large flock of oystercatchers on the sandbar for high tide now.

Cheers!
-Tim H