This evening Bob May and I saw between 25-30 Nighthawks over a field on Sound
Avenue in Wading River, near the Levin farm stand, about 1/2 mile east of the
25/25A split, on the north side (water tower in teh distance is a good
reference). Some may remember the late Jim Clinton doing annual surveys here.
Unfortunately in the past I never managed to get out there. It was my loss,
because it was an enjoyable experience seeing them close by, flying over us at
times, then diving low over the fields. None were vocalizing as far as I could
hear