This morning, despite the consistent driving rain, I spent three hours walking
around the Sands Point Preserve. No people anywhere, just perfect!
There was a very stiff NW wind roughing up the sound, which was completely
devoid of any birds.... save the lone swallow that came in off it at about
10:45.
It came over the bluff onto land behind Hempstead House and quickly disappeared
over the tree line before I could wipe my binoculars clear of water. It looked
good for both Cave and Cliff to the naked eye.
I think it’s too early for the former but I think there is some precedent for
the latter in October. Any input is appreciated.

Even with the weather there was still some typical October movement. 5 Wood
Duck, 10 Eastern Phoebe, Red-breasted Nuthatch, 2 House Wren, Winter Wren,
Hermit Thrush, Swainson’s Thrush, 12 Ruby-crowned Kinglets, 3 Golden-crowned
Kinglets, 3 Blackpoll Warblers, 3 Palm Warblers, Northern Parula, Pine Warbler,
Ovenbird, 2 Swamp Sparrow. The main sparrow push has not happened here, yet.

Also, both Common Ravens were seen/heard again.

Glenn Quinn
Hauppauge, NY