Sunday & Monday, 30-31 October, 2016 -
Central Park, Manhattan, N.Y. City

Monday, 10/31 -

While many, many observers enjoyed a Yellow-breasted Chat in same area
where one has been for a week or more, there were a nice flock of
Eastern Bluebirds that had come in, and at least 7 of them were at the
NW corner of the Great Lawn, at about noon or so; I took some quick
photos of these, from some distance (that lawn was still closed to the
public at that hour on Monday) and then went over to the chat-
watchers, to mention in person about the bluebird flock nearby - one
person joined me to see those, a short walk.  And in watching &
photographing the bluebirds, I had not even noticed (from perhaps
75-80+ feet away) that a very yellowy-underparts flycatcher was also
in the same tree with those bluebirds, and only much later saw the
other bird, the flycatcher, in my photos, not having seen it in the
field - and also not thinking too analytically or with 'bird-logic' as
to what species might be considered, or all of the potential genera
(of flycatchers)

- first, this may have been nothing more than a really bright Eastern
Phoebe - which is of course moving through still in modest numbers
(10+ seen by me this day, park-wide), and then there's a much lower
chance (by odds, for this date) of a Myiarchus [genus], which a few
who have looked at my one poor photo suggested, & if that, then why
not a (late-ish) Great Crested, as it's bright yellow-looking under,
and gray enough of the right-looking shade on the breast; in any
event, we will see if any birds of genus Tyrannus or Myiarchus are
found in the coming week in Central, or not - and any further comments
are welcomed on this. (More than 40 birders requested and were sent my
bad photo of this flycatcher - which is, unfortunately, most likely
too poor to make an absolute determination to species;  when in doubt,
start with an assumption of the most-expected possibility, and only
then think of other possibilities -'note to self'-!)

Of the bluebirds, a few other birders mentioned having seen one or
more, in a few locations today, including at Cherry Hill earlier, by
Louise Fraza; I counted 7 as they flew across the path by the Great
Lawn, and Elise Boeger was able to observe at least five of those
before they all flew in the direction of the Pinetum (where not seen
again, by us). The bluebird flock was photographed, that leading into
the whole flycatcher-fracas later on...

A young Red-headed Woodpecker remained near the Transverse Road &
below Sheep Meadow's SE corner; it was not vocal, in my brief
observation in the morning.

A lingering (and late) Northern Waterthrush was seen by Junko Suzuki
in the area I have reported for a few days, at the SE edges of The
Pond, which itself is in the SE part of the park.  Other warbIers seen
today included Pine, Palm (more than a few, scattered thru all of the
park), Myrtle, Blackpoll, Ovenbird, Common Yellowthroat, and Northern
Parula; perhaps some others seen by other observers.

Numerous again today, with fresh arrivals, were Hermit Thrush, and a
fair number of Winter Wrens. Sparrows & Junco were still in numbers,
but reduced from the days prior, even if in the many hundreds in
total, park-wide.  Red-breasted & White-breasted Nuthatches continued
in fair numbers, as did both species of Kinglet, & a few Brown Creepers.

The reservoir again held at least 2 pair of Hooded Mergansers, some
Buffleheads, American Coots, and many Ruddy Ducks, as well as Northern
Shovelers, Gadwalls, American Black Ducks, & other regulars.   There
was at least modest morning flight today, with some icteridae
movement, mainly of Common Grackles, and also a fair movement of
Turkey Vulture, with more than 50 passing over in the morning hours.

--  --  --
Sunday, 10/30 -
At least 15 Warbler species were found in Central Park on Sunday, a
good number for the date nearing the end of October. They were: Orange-
crowned, Nashville, Northern Parula, Black-throated Blue, Cape May,
Myrtle, Black-throated Green, Pine, Palm, Blackpoll, Black-and-white,
Ovenbird, Northern Waterthrush, Common Yellowthroat, and Yellow-
breasted Chat - the first and last of these observed by many at
various times, most of the others observed by many, & the waterthrush
seen for a 3rd day in a row in same area at The Pond, which I
photographed, positiveIy determining to species.  All of the warbler
species were found in the southern half of the park (including areas
south of the reservoir, thru the Ramble, and to the south end) & some
were also seen in the northern end of the park, as well.

On Sunday morning, an Empidonax [genus] flycatcher, virtually certain
to have been the one found in the prior 2 days, was found just west of
the Great Lawn, but it did not remain in view past 9 a.m. and there
seem to be no earlier nor later reports. Of the identity,
specifically, of that individual bird, we may not know unless it re-
surfaces and if there is audio that establishing any definitive
vocalizations for it - which is what a number of experts, including
experts on western species of the Empidonax group, have said in
private, and as is usually so of most autumn occurrences of this genus
in the region. Good audio, if available, would offer a better set of
clues than that of many photos, even if photos may be very helpful. To
my knowledge no one has or had obtained any audio recordings of this
bird. The possibiliy exists that this was (is) a western-breeding
Empidonax, but is at least equally or more likely to have been an
eastern-breeding species, and there seem to be records for late
October for some, if not all, five of the latter species, in this
region (including birds that were recorded giving calls, and some
birds mist-netted, measured, & photo-video'd, at various sites in
various northeastern states). There are also some specimen records of
Empidonax found in late or mid-autumn, in this region, some of these
are in the collections of the AMNH - New York (American Museum of
Natural History) and include (some) apparent western-breeding species.

"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability
and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends
otherwise." - Aldo Leopold (1887–1948), U.S. wildlife biologist,
conservationist, professor, author, best known for his book "A Sand
County Almanac" (1949), which has sold more than two million copies.

good birding & thanks to the many who responded regarding a bad photo
of a flycatcher!'

Tom Fiore
Manhattan