Agreeing with others on this thread, I believe squirrels are opportunistic
feeders, and likely consume a higher quantity of meat than we may suspect (much
as coyotes, foxes, and other carnivores eat substantial quantities of vegetable
matter during certain seasons).

Many years ago I had the disturbing experience of hearing the alarm calls of a
pair of Wood Thrushes, and upon investigation, discovered a Gray Squirrel
devouring their entire nestful of small nestlings. Seeing the blood-smeared
squirrel calmly sitting on its haunches in their nest, gnawing on chicks was
certainly memorable.  I have since witnessed squirrels poaching eggs on more
than one occasion.

It is my understanding that Red Squirrels are more carnivorous than Grays, and
Chipmunks are still more meat-loving.  In fact, chipmunks are one of the major
predators of eggs and nestlings in our region.

Cheers,

Gabriel Willow
Nyc Audubon