Hi All,

I photographed the Empidonax flycatcher at Inwood at around 2:30 this afternoon (Dec. 9):

A close look reveals emargination on p6-p9 (four primaries) so the bird is certainly not an Acadian, Willow, or Alder Flycatcher (see Pyle Vol. 1), if anyone is still considering those species as possibilities.

I was also struck by the warm, buffy tones on this bird, especially on the cheek, but from some of the photos I've seen on the New York Birders Facebook Group, the bird does look greener in the shade.

One other characteristic that may be worth mentioning. The rectrices have pale tips which appear a bit worn, so I would think this is a hatch-year bird. I have not been able to find a reference to pale-tipped rectrices in Pyle for any Empids other than Least Flycatcher. It would be good to get a photo of the spread tail, which may be useful for determining the age of the bird.

 Deb Allen