While I do not profess expertise in this matter, I just wanted to comment on
the study by Baumann et. al in the Journal of Field Ornithology on
distinguishing Western and yellow bellied flycatchers.  While precise
separation of these species required in-the-hand measurement of wing and buffy
fringe lengths, as others have noted, the space between the proximal edge of
the buffy fringing on the secondaries and lower wing bar was judged to be a
good field mark, with a larger space favoring yellow-bellied.

Some have suggested that this article supports categorizing the Inwood
flycatcher as yellow-bellied. Yet in the photo on page 395 used to illustrate
this, the band between the lower wing bar and the top edge of the fringe is
about 1/3 of the length of the visible secondaries on the yellow-bellied, while
not more than 1/4 of this length on the western.  Looking at some of the photos
of the Inwood bird, the band is much closer to 1/4 than 1/3.  While there may
well be some variability in this feature in the field, if the photo from the
article is an accurate representation of the validity of this field mark, it
would suggest that the Inwood bird is more likely western than yellow-bellied,
not the reverse.

Peter

(This message was resent as I could not find my first response on the list.
Pardon any duplication.)