Having done the Christmas bird count with Jeff Ritter last week, I decided to
revisit the Kissena Park on Christmas day to see what was still around.  While
numbers were down a bit from last week, the Red-headed woodpecker continues to
be an active presence, and can heard loudly rattling on the western side of the
hill south of the lake.

While looking for the winter wren seen last week at Eric Miller’s secret
warbler spot north of the golf course, I was surprised to find a house wren, a
pretty rare bird for late December. (And one which would have been a nice
addition to the count last week.  Oh well...)

Then on my way home I stopped at the parking area north of the Plandome train
station looking for the yellow-breasted chat.  Having dipped on Thursday and
not heard any further reports, I didn’t expect much. But when I arrived, he was
sitting on top of a brush pile on the left of the path near the 5 door garage.
And in typical chat fashion, he disappeared before I could take a photo.

Good winter birding to all,

Peter