All,
Shawn Billerman and I had an awesome seawatch from Montauk Point this
morning, highlighted by a nice RAZORBILL flight which included three
DOVEKIES and two THICK-BILLED MURRES. A male KING EIDER flew in and landed
near the biggest scoter and eider flocks, and we finally got on an adult
BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE flying out in the distance. All three scoters,
Common Eiders, Common and Red-throated loons, and Northern Gannets were all
in abundance. Essentially all the Razorbills, loons, and scoters that were
moving were headed south or southwest around the end of the point. Full
eBird list with our best estimates at numbers is here:

Once the rain started we checked a few other spots. Montauk Inlet had an
immature GREAT CORMORANT and a 1st cycle ICELAND GULL. At Hook Pond we did
not find any swans, but another 1st cycle ICELAND GULL was in the gull
flock loafing at the edge of the golf course. Shinnecock Inlet hosted a
SNOWY OWL and two HARLEQUIN DUCKS, a female and an immature male, foraging
and inexplicably diving in the shallow surf near the base of the jetty.
Dune Road was fairly quiet but we did spot a nice CLAPPER RAIL in a ditch
right along the road.

Yesterday I stopped at a few locations on my way over from checking out the
obliging Rock Wren in New Jersey. At least two BLACK SKIMMERS continue on
Coney Island Beach. The adult is banded and I have been informed that it
was banded this summer in Goshen, NJ. The Hendrickson Park PINK-FOOTED
GOOSE was still there on the lake yesterday afternoon around 3:30. I was
not able to find the Cammanns Pond Black-headed Gull just before dusk, but
an immature ICELAND GULL was there in the small flock of gulls at the
parking lot.

Good birding!
Jay

--