Hi Everyone,

Today, I heard that the "Northern Challenge Fishing Derby" ("One of the
largest ice fishing tournaments in NY State") will be held on Simon Pond
this Saturday, Feb. 4th
(http://www.tupperlake.com/events/northern-challenge-fishing-derby ).  I
asked Jack Delehanty about it and this was his response (which also gives a
Ross's Gull update for today):

Yo!  I'm sure it will be good for the gull...having all those fish and food
scraps on the ice on Sunday.  The commotion won't bother it either, all of
the activity is limited to Simond Pond.  The Ross's has been out front here
four times today, 11am for about twenty minutes, three times since 2:45 in
half-hour cycles.  I put out some baby clams.  It's loving them.

It appears the Ross's Gull is being well fed!  It definitely found the right
house!

Joan Collins

President, NYS Ornithological Association

Editor, New York Birders

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell

(518) 624-5528 home