I visited the Nassau County waterway corridor from Hempstead Lake southward
for the first time since the CBC. As on the CBC, a Cackling Goose was on the
Mill River, in the vicinity of East Rockaway High School. After it drifted
down river along with a small group of Canadas, I relocated it from the
Pearl Street bridge. I was hoping they would continue southward into close
photo range. They did continue southward, but by taking flight and passing
right over me. So what's south of there? Bay Park. That's where I ultimately
headed -- and located a Cackling Goose on the golf course. That was too
easy, so I need to overanalyze this. The goose flock on the river was of the
canadensis variety. Most of the ones surrounding the golf course Cackling
were maxima. A different Cackling?

Also at Bay Park were a Kestrel, a fly by Pipit, 30 Horned Larks (worth a
close look, as this was once the most reliable local spot for longspurs),
and 5 Killdeer. It's tempting to think that the Killdeer are a sign of
northbound migration, but I'd feel better about that two weeks from now.

Hempstead Lake had about 38 Common Mergansers on it, in pockets of open
water.

Steve Walter

Bayside, NY