Today, between ~ 1700 & 1740, there was a total of 49 Turkey Vultures
resting at 2 of their regular haunts - the large spruce trees located at
the north end of the Riverhead Firehouse on the e/s of Roanoke Ave, and the
large pine tree in the rear of # 542 Roanoke Ave (1st house n/o the
firehouse). During this time, all, but 5, of these birds, lifted off (1 or
2 at a time) and flew to the large spruce trees on the w/s of Roanoke Ave,
at the intersection of Elton Ave. This seems to be the T.V's. favorite
night-time roost. While 49 represents the largest number of  this specie
that I have encounted on L.I., it is still less than the total seen by
Brian Carr on 1/30/17 (pers. comm.), when he counted 45 in one tree*, with
20-30 in other surrounding trees in the area.

An interesting and rewarding aspect of the Roanoke Roosts came, for me, in
the request by Tom Payton, Principal of the Roanoke Ave Elementary School
(its roof and chimney are heavily used by the T.V's.)  to speak to one of
their after-school clubs, The 3rd Grade Garden & Environmental Club has
been studying/researching the large, black, odd-looking, flying creatures
that they see every day, and would like to learn more !  I accepted the
invite and on February 6th gave a Power Point Presentation to ~ 25
enthusiastic young students, along with their 2 teachers. We all had a good
time, and learned quite a bit...including me !

Cheers,
Bob

*Between 1st & 2nd houses on the w/s of Griffing Ave, s/o Lincoln St. This
location is 2 blocks w/o Roanoke Ave.