Over the past few days, I have spent some time exploring a few known and
unknown sites in Queens co. My efforts were aimed at getting a snap shot of
what new species might have arrived and what might still be lingering.

One bit of tracking note: before the last snow storm, one exploratory visit,
revealed quite a few winter hardies including Chipping Sparrow and Ruby-crowned
Kinglet. That run also turned up a high number of Field and Tree Sparrows, a
few days later after the storm, the site was devoid of any of the same species.

March 9th:

At Brookville Park, 3 Greater Yellowlegs were seen between the north and south
end of the park. No sign of the Wilson's Snipe, that I had a few weeks ago but
given how stealthy these birds are, I would not be surprised if it was still
hanging in. A good number of American Black Ducks were in the area, including a
few hybrids. Always nice to look at.

At Idlewild Park, there was a lot of activity from a team of NYC Parks
restoration workers. I engaged with them and had a good chat about "manicured"
parks vs natural habitats. They seemed quite keen on doing what was right so I
am hopeful my efforts in discussing the importance of the natural habitats will
pay dividends in such that they will plant so there is less disturbance to the
natural topography. If only I could bill them for my consulting efforts :-)

While the work probably interfered with birds in area. It was this site that I
pulled out an Eastern Phoebe. No doubt an early spring arrival that will rue
its decision to travel south once the snow arrives. Multiple Killdeers were
also seen in the area.

Springfield Park was quiet save for a few expected waterfowl. I did pick up one
Greater Yellowlegs here. This is another site,
I have put in some effort in learning the migration pattern of likely visitors.

Baisley Pond Park saw a significant drop in waterfowl numbers. Northern
Shoveler (2) American Wigeon (37), Redhead (5) and Ringneck Duck (1), were some
of the notables still lingering.

March 7

A day spent mostly along Queens coastal: Notables included 1 Piping Plover at
Rocky Point Marsh. 1 American Oystercatcher at Breezy Point, seen from the Fort
Tilden Fisherman's Parking Lot.

That day saw a lot of Northern Gannets doing a sort of reverse migration -
heading east instead of west as they were doing on March 5th. Also observed
were decent numbers of Black and White-winged Scoters and Red-throated Loons.

It appears that the number of Gulls are down at least on the Queens side. Some
of the roosting areas on the beach did have habitat disturbance and could be
the reason why I have not had the pleasure of sorting through the usual large
flocks.

Cheers,

"This game is rigged, man. We like the little b*** on a chessboard." -Preston
'Bodie' Broadus

--------
"I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of
others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence." ~ Frederick
Douglass

風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire