It has come to my attention that some of you *still* have trouble using a map link.

Our government spent $12 billion initially and spends $750 million annually to maintain the satellite system. It tells you an exact location on the planet. For the serious birder this is a god-send; particularly for unfamiliar locations.

For those of us that remember how much GPS technology cost when it first was made available to the public, that it is essentially free to use on our phones is quite remarkable.

The link opens a map. This can be done on both your computer or smart phone; whichever you are receiving the email upon. There is the *inexplicable misconception* that one needs a GPS to make use of the map links I provide. Completely incorrect. No GPS is required to ~view~ a map!

CAVEAT *** If you get the posts at BIRDING.ABA they have unfortunate computer coding to shrink the size of posts which irreparably damages the provided map link. I have contacted the person at the ABA about this issue but there is nothing that can be done; so *subscribe to the NYS list* , get the messages directly in your email, and the links will come through unmolested if this is your issue.

Alternately you can view the email online at the Cornell email archive.  I also provide the lat lon coordinates that you can copy and paste into your favorite map site; ever so slightly more involved but by no means “complicated”.

You can observe this map just like you would a paper map. Arguably a map with a marker contains far more information than a place name; especially in the case where the reader is unfamiliar with the place, and if the place name is not an official name. “...but where is the ‘bamboo brothel’ in Central Park...”

The added benefits are that you can zoom in or out, and obtain driving or walking directions, and yes, use a GPS or the GPS feature of your smart phone ...if and only if you choose to.

So click on the link, orient yourself as you would with a paper map, and hope the bird sticks around for you to see it.

For the cartophiles out there, I have amassed maps of popular birding locations with various features marked on the Queens County Bird Club’s website, and CityBirder has a slew of useful maps on his blog/website as well.

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.
-----Yogi Berra

Arie Gilbert
North Babylon, NY

WWW.Powerbirder.blogspot.com