4/10/17 Long Lake (Hamilton Co.)

Barred Owls have been quite vocal and I listened to a couple at 1:30 a.m.
over our baby monitor.  I was also up again during the night (first visit
was 4/7) with 2 Raccoons at our bird feeders.  This is the same pair we had
last year and they are extremely gentle!  Last night, they finished the suet
in one feeder and consumed half the suet in another by the time I went out
on the porch.  Remarkably, they have never pulled down or damaged any of my
bird feeders - I've watched them at seed feeders and they gently eat the
seed from holes (by standing on our porch railing) and holding the feeder in
their front claws as they stand up on their back feet.  Also, last fall,
they showed up 3 times with an Eastern Coyote and fed on cracked corn
side-by-side with the coyote!  I feel bad chasing them away!

Early this morning, several Hermit Thrushes were calling.  This was likely a
migrant group since the local nesting birds sing when they arrive.  Purple
Finches also showed up this morning.  Fox Sparrows (we have at least 2)
continue to sing and forage with other sparrows around our home.

4/9/17 Long Lake

Two Boreal Chickadees observed along Route 30 and only 1 (very stealthy)
Gray Jay at Sabattis Bog (at my 4 normal Gray Jay stops).

4/8/17 Montezuma

After a morning meeting at Montezuma, I drove the wildlife loop in the
afternoon before heading home:

Canada Goose, Gadwall, Amer. Wigeon, Mallard, Northern Shoveler,
Green-winged Teal, Redhead, Ring-necked Duck, Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead,
Pied-billed Grebe, American Coot, Double-crested Cormorant, and Bald Eagle.

4/7/17 - First of the season Raccoons and Eastern Chipmunks outside our
home!

Joan Collins

President, NYS Ornithological Association

Editor, New York Birders

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell

(518) 624-5528 home