There have been ten new arrivals/migrants during the past week (and 2 active
amphibian species!).  Most of the snow is gone in Long Lake, but I found
areas in Newcomb with thigh-deep snow during a bushwhack on 4/15 (and lots
of bruises on my legs as a result).    Since the Osprey pair returned to
Minnow Pond in Long Lake on 4/10, at least one bird is always at the nest
site.  (The Osprey are already the talk of Long Lake - last year, a
photographer could always be found along Route 30 since you can look
directly across at the nest!)  As of yesterday, the ice finally melted off
that pond.  Here are some of the species found during the past week:

4/18/17 Long Lake (Hamilton Co.)

A singing migrant Fox Sparrow joined the masses of Dark-eyed Juncos outside
our house this morning.

4/17/17 Long Lake

*Field Sparrow migrant singing outside our home (a first for our home)

Ring-necked Ducks (everywhere with open water) and Bufflehead on Little
Tupper Lake.

4/16/17 Long Lake

Ring-necked Duck - Little Tupper Lake

Common Merganser - Shaw Pond

Pied-billed Grebe - Shaw Pond (they nested here last year)

Broad-winged Hawk - pair vocalizing and interacting near the Round Lake
Trailhead on Sabattis Circle Road

Gray Jay - 2 (1 Route 30 and 1 Sabattis Bog)  Nesting is underway and I only
see solo birds once in a while now.

Pine Warbler - 4th day in a row at our platform feeder - eating sunflower
hearts!

*Yellow-rumped Warbler - 1 singing at Sabattis Bog

*Eastern Towhee - calling at Sabattis Bog

*White-throated Sparrow - several singing

Many Wood Frogs and Spring Peepers calling.

4/15/17 Long Lake, Newcomb, and Minerva (Essex Co.)

Ruffed Grouse - Sabattis Circle Road

*Common Loon - on Long Lake

Black-backed Woodpecker - 2 (1 along Route 28N in Minerva, and 1 in Newcomb
on Tahawus Rd.)

Eastern Phoebe - several

Gray Jay - 1 in Minerva that readily came to me for food

*Ruby-crowned Kinglet - Newcomb and Minerva locations

Pine Warbler - continuing at our platform feeder

4/14/17 Long Lake (& owling 9:30 p.m. to 1 a.m.)

Ring-necked Duck - Round Lake inlet

Bufflehead - Round Lake inlet

Hooded Merganser - Round Lake inlet

Common Merganser - Little Tupper Lake inlet

Pied-billed Grebe - Round Lake inlet

Barred Owl - calling

*Northern Saw-whet Owl - tooting non-stop for hours!

Boreal Chickadee - 1 along Route 30

Palm Warbler - 5 at Sabattis Bog

Pine Warbler - continuing at our platform feeder

*Swamp Sparrow - marsh at the inlet of Little Tupper Lake

Rusty Blackbird - ~10 marsh at the inlet of Little Tupper Lake

I also observed 2 different Snowshoe Hares while listening for owls.

*Wood Frogs and *Spring Peepers were heard during owling - surprising given
the 32 degree evening!

4/13/17 Long Lake

*Pine Warbler - migrant observed eating sunflower seed hearts on our
platform feeder!

4/12/17 Long Lake

Ruffed Grouse - Sabattis Circle Road

*Rusty Blackbird - ~10 at the marsh by the inlet of Little Tupper Lake
(where nesting was attempted last year).  This is a migration stop every
year at this time.

Moose tracks were observed in the sand by the inlet of Little Tupper Lake -
one smaller set of tracks by very large tracks.  (May is the month that
females leave last year's young to give birth to a new calf.)

Joan Collins

President, NYS Ornithological Association

Editor, New York Birders

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell

(518) 624-5528 home