This is a copy of my ebird report from today's outing regarding this
unusual occurrence.....

  Very odd, and rare for this date. Other than 1 or 2 locations in
North Nassau, Canvasback is now uncommon to rare in Nassau County,
even in season. This individual apparently has been at this generally
underbirded location for at least 2 weeks, and may have wintered here.
Today, it was swimming in close company with a N. Shoveler pair on the
fresh water pond near the parking area. It's presence was brought to
my attention earlier in the week, so I gave it a go as the last stop
of the day. My first thought was that this may be an injured bird,
though after close examination I found this male to be in fine shape,
seemingly happy, robust and preening. At no time did I observe it
feeding. I'm curious to see how long this guy hangs around and if my
assumption is correct regarding its health. This species is regularly
missed on a number of our Marine Region CBC's in recent years, giving
this record even more of an interesting twist.

Bobby Berlingeri