Red-breasted Nuthatch is an example of a species whose movements are
particularly complex and difficult to understand. They breed over a vast area,
and variable numbers of birds occupy essentially that entire area during the
winter as well. But some birds move south, the proportion of which varies
tremendously from year to year, and the distances covered by these migrants can
be huge. Feeder watchers are in position to note the actual dates of departure
of over-wintering individuals, which provides very useful information. In other
similar cases, such as the departures of individual adult Lesser Black-backed
Gulls from their wintering sites, our local winter residents seem to move out
noticeably earlier than the peak of northbound migration (mid March vs. early
April, in this example). My own impression of spring migration of Red-breasted
Nuthatches on Long Island is that it occurs during May.

There are multiple possible interpretations for this pattern. For instance, it
is possible that the more southerly wintering birds are those that breed the
farthest north, and that they migrate later accordingly. Another possibility is
that residents that have been faithful to particular sites during the winter
leave those sites well before they commence actual migration, perhaps wandering
around the regional landscape for a couple of weeks when days lengthen and
weather improves. Something of this sort seems to occur with feeder birds
because there seems to be a pulse of detections of rare species each year
around the March-April period when known over-wintering birds tend to vanish.
In other words, rare (and other) birds that have been wintering unreported at
feeders and in other favorable sites begin moving around and are more likely to
be encountered by birders.

On a related topic, I've noticed recently that adult Ring-billed Gulls have
vanished from Long Island, and I didn't notice when this happened. My own last
large counts were on 1-2 April, and all my recent records have involved SY and
TY immatures, in small numbers. My feeling is that the arrival dates of
warblers are pretty well covered, but when it comes to the departure dates of
age classes of gulls, there's plenty of work to be done!

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore