Great article (evidencing a ton of hard work) by Shai and Pat proposing a
slingshot event to describe the migration of early 2005, and which showed the
same pattern as our current April migration.

There is corroborating evidence on radar to suggest a weather related boost for
the most recent migration wave.  Looking at the radar loops at Paul Hurtado’s
radar site: http://www.pauljhurtado.com/US_Composite_Radar/ , you can see that
on the nights of April 24 and 25 there was storm activity from the southeast
which reached landfall along a broad area in of the mid-Atlantic coastline.
This was followed by a pattern of fairly heavy migration starting from Delaware
and Maryland on the 26, and fully reaching our area over the night of the 27th.
 This corresponds well to the most recent surge of “southern” migrants with
ebird and listserv reports  starting 4/28 of summer tanager, blue grosbeak,
and kentucky warbler, along with smaller numbers of prothonotary warbler and
yellow throated warbler.

In light of this phenomenon, this might be a good time to get out and check
some of our underbirded parks. Who knows? There might be a Swainson’s out there
somewhere waiting to be discovered.

Good spring birding

Peter