I know this isn't anywhere near NY, but on the previous two evenings I was
watching the Yankee/Royals games on tv which was in Kansas City and the camera
focused periodically on a Western Kingbird on a wire near the 1st. base line.
Of course Ken Singleton and David Cone started joking about it and wondering
what kind of bird it was.  I wish I could've contacted them to tell them the
right id.  The previous night Ken jokingly said it was a Yellow-bellied
Sapsucker.  They agreed it wasn't.  I give David a lot of credit because last
night he did figure out it was either an American Goldfinch, Western Kingbird,
or Yellow-breasted Chat.  At least he got it right, but just didn't know which
was the correct one:-)  It was kind of interesting too that being on the very
eastern limit of its range in the area that would be the bird to show up:-)  If
you look at a map of the range the eastern border angles right into
northeastern Kansas right where they were.
Andrew   Andrew v. F. Block
Consulting Naturalist
20 Hancock Avenue, Apt. 3
Yonkers, Westchester Co., New York 10705-4629
Phone: 914-963-3080; Cell: 914-319-9701
www.flickr.com/photos/conuropsis/albums