Apropos Jack Rothman's post as to Rockefeller State Park, I now skip the
"intensity" of Central Park altogether even though I work  ten blocks from the
south entrance.  This morning Kyle Bardwell who drove down from Beacon and he
and I spent about 3 hours covering about 4 miles of Fahnestock State Park,
including a stretch I maintain for the NY/NJ trail conference.  (His ears for
all things high pitched and ear birding skills were key.)  We put in on the Red
Trail off Rte. 301 hiked to Beaver Pond and came out the Blue Trail onto the
Appalachian Trail ending back on Rte. 301 at Canopus Lake.   Other than at
trailhead parking area like Jack yesterday, we saw absolutely no one, let alone
anyone using incessant playback.  We did however encounter 18 species of wood
warbler; a few migrants but many on territory so when NYC migration  is over
there are numerous trails (with understory) in Fahnestock where you can get a
warbler fix during summer.  There is a breeding bird survey by Putnam Audubon
and if anyone would like to come north and partake feel free to email me off
line and I can put you in touch with the person who runs it. (Lots of good
territory besides Fahnestock.)

Today we encountered some early showers, then a bit of harder rain, and then
some clearing.  Warbler highlights this morning were blackburnian, cerulean
(2), chestnut sided, bay breasted, and hooded (other warblers yellow,
yellowthroat, red start (10+), ovenbird (10+), magnolia, black throated blue,
black throated green, N. parula, prairie, blackpoll, blue winged, northern
waterthrush and many black+white).  Other birds towhee (10+), red eyed vireo
(10+), yellow throated vireo (4+), scarlet tanager (M + F paired up), rose
breasted grosbeak (M + F paired up), black billed cuckoo, pewee, phoebe (2),
pileated woodpecker, balt. Oriole, raven (several), veery, hermit and wood
thrush (likely swainson's too), cedar waxwing, cat bird (20+), and a great blue
heron (at beaver pond).  Rain likely limited flycatchers.  Mountain laurel
starting to bloom, a few orchids as well.  That stretch of trail has had in
years' past ruffed grouse (most recent sighting I had was about three years
ago, but I expect they still breed in Fahnestock).   And very early mornings
(certainly before I get there) along Rte 301 whip-poor-wills can be heard.

L. Trachtenberg
Ossining