Thanks Louise,

There are reports on the New York Birders Facebook group of a Henslow's Sparrow at SGNWR on May 23rd, with a photo by Deb Tracy-Kral and a video from David Hayes. I can't believe this wasn't posted to NYSBIRDS-L.

Deb Allen

-----Original Message-----
From: Louise Fraza
Sent: May 24, 2017 10:43 AM
To: "NYSbirds-L@cornell.edu"
Subject: [nysbirds-l] Shawangunk Grasslands, Ulster County NY, May 23, 2017

I was lucky to get a ride from New York City.  We arrived at about midday on this lightly overcast day with hardly any wind.  The air was full of the tinkly songs of the Bobolinks and the melancholy sounds of the Eastern Meadowlarks as these birds flew back and forth before disappearing into the long grasses.  We were unable to find the Grasshopper Sparrows that were reported earlier that day.  But to our delight, the Dickcissel made itself know immediately when we got to the area of the blind, a short mile east of the viewing platform.  It flew up on the old woody seedheads of last year's thistles and sang its loud raspy song over and over again.  We also saw a Savanna Sparrow and an Eastern Bluebird and heard a Willow Flycatcher.
Louise Fraza, New York City