Went to Stirling S.F. today with Bronx River-Sound Shore Audubon and had a
wonderful day.  Bird wise things started off slowish at the nature center area
but we did get Hooded Warbler and a few other common birds.  When we went to
Ironwood Rd. things started picking up.  Along the road itself we got the usual
forest birds including Scarlet Tanager, Red-eyed Vireo, Louisiana Waterthrush,
etc.
At the powerline cut on the left side we had Golden-winged, Blue-winged,
Yellow, Cerulean and Prairie Warblers, Field Sparrow, and Rose-breasted
Grosbeak as well as the other common species.  There was also supposed to be a
Yellow-breasted Chat there too, but I did not see or hear it.
On the right side of the cut we had most of the same species plus Yellow-billed
Cuckoo, a white bellied/throated and pale yellow breasted backcross male
Brewster's warbler, Broad-winged Hawk, Common Raven, and others.  The
Brewster's and a Golden-winged gave nice long looks at themselves.
Besides birds it was a great day for herps.  I had several Common Five-lined
Skinks, caught a 5+ ft. Black Ratsnake, a 4+ ft. Northern Black Racer, a
Northern Watersnake, a Wood Turtle (thanks Bernie), Green, Bull, and Gray
Treefrogs. Butterflies were around everywhere too especially Spicebush and
Eastern Tiger Swallowtails.
I guess I should've known it'd be such a great day when I walked outside my
house and found a new $100 dollar bill on the street:-)
Andrew Andrew v. F. Block
Consulting Naturalist
20 Hancock Avenue, Apt. 3
Yonkers, Westchester Co., New York 10705-4629
Phone: 914-963-3080; Cell: 914-319-9701
www.flickr.com/photos/conuropsis/albums