As many have noted, migration was mostly late - the latest I've ever seen.
Year after year, the number of birds continues to decline.  My non-birder
husband keeps asking what is wrong - he comments that we are not hearing
many birds anymore.  The dawn chorus used to be deafening, but now it
doesn't even wake us.  On Whiteface there were noticeably less numbers of
vocalizing Bicknell's Thrushes on Sunday compared to last year at the same
time.  While these are personal observations, I am hearing the same worries
from other birders regarding declining numbers of birds.  Our human
population, nearing 8 billion, is taking a huge toll on the planet.

A few sightings from the past 3 weeks (minus the week we spent in Iowa for
our younger son's graduation!):

5/31/17 Long Lake (Hamilton Co.)

Two Barred Owls hooted back and forth for a long time outside our home last
night - one right off our front porch.

5/30/17 Long Lake

Gray Jays - 7 (2 along Route 30, 2 by Little Tupper Lake, and 3 at Sabattis
Bog (the resident pair only raised one baby this year))

On a May 28, 2017 Dawn Tour up Whiteface Mountain with 4 people (2 from MA,
and 2 from PA) we found 67 species visiting both high and low elevation
boreal habitats (including Bloomingdale, Tupper Lake, and Long Lake).  Here
is our list:

Ring-necked Duck

Hooded Merganser - 7 babies in the road, and eventually, their mother!

Common Merganser - 1 female on the Saranac River

Ruffed Grouse

Rock Pigeon

Chimney Swift

Wilson's Snipe

Common Loon - on its nest in Tupper Lake

Turkey Vulture

Northern Goshawk

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Hairy Woodpecker

Black-backed Woodpecker - on Whiteface Mountain

Northern Flicker

Eastern Wood-Pewee

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher - nice view on Whiteface

Alder Flycatcher

Least Flycatcher

Eastern Phoebe

Blue-headed Vireo

Philadelphia Vireo - nice view!

Red-eyed Vireo

Gray Jay - 2 at Sabattis Bog

Blue Jay

American Crow

Common Raven

Tree Swallow

Cliff Swallow

Barn Swallow

Black-capped Chickadee

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Eastern Bluebird

Bicknell's Thrush - 3 different birds viewed (one photo on my Facebook page)
and many heard

Swainson's Thrush

Hermit Thrush

American Robin

European Starling

Purple Finch

American Goldfinch

Ovenbird

Black-and-white Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

American Redstart

Northern Parula

Magnolia Warbler - nice view on Whiteface

Blackburnian Warbler - nice view

Yellow Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Blackpoll Warbler - nice views on Whiteface

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Palm Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Canada Warbler - nice view

Chipping Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Lincoln's Sparrow - nice views of a singing bird!

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Red-winged Blackbird

Common Grackle

We also observed many Snowshoe Hares.

On a May 27, 2017 half-day tour with 3 people (2 from Ogdensburg and 1 from
Canton) we found 45 species in Tupper Lake and the Spring Pond Bog Preserve
complex.  Here is our list:

Rock Pigeon

Chimney Swift

Turkey Vulture

Northern Goshawk

Broad-winged Hawk

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Black-backed Woodpecker - male

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Alder Flycatcher

Least Flycatcher

Eastern Phoebe

Great Crested Flycatcher

Blue-headed Vireo

Red-eyed Vireo

Gray Jay - 4 (family group with 2 adults and 2 young)

Blue Jay

Black-capped Chickadee

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Hermit Thrush

Purple Finch

American Goldfinch

Ovenbird

Northern Waterthrush

Black-and-white Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Mourning Warbler - nice views!

Common Yellowthroat

American Redstart

Northern Parula

Magnolia Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Palm Warbler

Pine Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Canada Warbler

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Scarlet Tanager

We also observed Moose tracks.

May 26, 2017 Long Lake

Not a birding day, but I found the first-of-the-year juvenile Gray Jay at
Sabattis Bog!  It was very friendly!  (Photos on my Facebook page.)

5/18/17 Long Lake

*Red-eyed Vireo

*Mourning Warbler - the latest arrival date I've noted (along Sabattis
Circle Road)

We had severe weather hit that day around the dinner hour.  I spotted the
resident alpha male Wild Turkey hiding behind a huge tree stump outside our
kitchen window.  He was crouched down and occasionally his head would pop up
(like a whack-a-mole!).  Every time the thunder hit, he would gobble - it
was obviously disturbing him.  He is my "friend" so I tried talking to him
through the window.  This went on and on, but he suddenly came running out
and headed up the hill in our backyard toward an old lean-to.  He continued
to gobble as thunder crashed.  Just after he left, the lighting hit the area
where he had been hiding and went into our home - knocking out electrical
outlets and our satellite cable.  (It was a terrifying experience.)  Anyway,
I am sharing this story because I believe that the Wild Turkey knew to
quickly move, which I found fascinating.

5/17/17 Long Lake canoe at Fishing Brook

Fuat Latif and I talked last year about trying to canoe down-brook from
Route 28N on Fishing Brook in high water this spring (since you can only
make it halfway to this location from the official put-in on a side road
miles away).  So my message is DON'T try it!!!  As we were getting ready to
start, we had a discussion about the TOPO contour lines that we had both
looked at on the maps that morning.  Fuat mentioned that rapids would be
likely - that was when my legs began to shake!  Anyway, there are rapids,
waterfalls, and large boulders!  We finally had to abandon this adventure -
by getting out of our boats and pulling them back to Route 28N in a strong
current in freezing cold water!  One of those unforgettable experiences!  We
then headed to the official put-in and enjoyed the paddle and birds (in wet
clothes)!  There are lots of warbler species and flycatchers along the
brook.  Last year, I found 2 Black-backed Woodpeckers, but the day was
extremely windy, and it would have been difficult to hear them.  The
season's first Olive-sided Flycatcher was singing away near the put-in
parking area!  (I posted a photo on my Facebook page.)  We saw more
Olive-sided Flycatchers during the paddle.  Unfortunately, I didn't hear any
Rusty Blackbirds (I found a small group last fall along this brook.).

The first-of-the-season Ruby-throated Hummingbird was observed at our
feeders on 5/17/17 - the latest arrival date that I've noted.

May 16, 2017 Bloomingdale & Tupper Lake (Franklin Co.) and Long Lake

Common Loon - nest observed in Tupper Lake

Black-backed Woodpecker - 2 different birds in Bloomingdale

Gray Jay - 7 (2 along Route 30 in Long Lake, 4 at Sabattis Bog, and 1 in
Bloomingdale)

May 14, 2017 Long Lake

Canada Warbler - latest arrival date I've noted (Sabattis Circle Road)

May 12, 2017 Nature Conservancy States' Birding Competition (15 states and
NY came in 2nd!  Texas was 1st)

This was the first annual Nature Conservancy States' Birding Competition to
find the most species on Nature Conservancy properties or easements (it will
be a fund raiser in subsequent years).  Larry Master coordinated the
Adirondacks and Derek Rogers coordinated the whole state.  I covered Tahawus
Road, Sabattis Circle Road (half of it), Massawepie Rd. and Spring Pond Bog
Preserve.  I found the following 66 species:

Canada Goose

Ruffed Grouse

Spruce Grouse - observed by NYS DEC personnel at Spring Pond Bog Preserve

Wild Turkey

Mourning Dove

Wilson's Snipe

American Woodcock

Common Loon

American Bittern

Turkey Vulture

Northern Goshawk

Broad-winged Hawk

Barred Owl

Belted Kingfisher

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Downy Woodpecker

Hairy Woodpecker

Black-backed Woodpecker

Northern Flicker

Pileated Woodpecker

Merlin

Least Flycatcher

Eastern Phoebe

Blue-headed Vireo

Gray Jay

Blue Jay

Tree Swallow

Barn Swallow

Black-capped Chickadee

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Veery

Hermit Thrush

American Robin

European Starling

Purple Finch

American Goldfinch

Ovenbird

Northern Waterthrush

Black-and-white Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

American Redstart

Northern Parula

Magnolia Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler

Yellow Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Palm Warbler

Pine Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Chipping Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Lincoln's Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Scarlet Tanager

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Red-winged Blackbird

Common Grackle

I went owling for the 24-hour event at both ends of the day - trying to hear
the Northern Saw-whet Owl along Sabattis Circle Road, but no luck!  I did
find 2 different Barred Owls, American Woodcocks, and Ruffed Grouse in the
roadway!

A highlight during this event was observing 2 male Northern Flickers exhibit
agonistic behavior in their highly ritualized "dance" - I watched it for a
long time and had to walk away!  I posted a photo to my Facebook page and I
will also post video of this fascinating behavior.

5/9/17 Long Lake

This was one of the most thrilling mammal observations I've had!  An Ermine
was observed struggling to carry a Red Squirrel (still alive and struggling)
through our backyard!  As I watched the Ermine heading into the woods, the
Amer. Crows also saw what was happening and they abandoned the cracked corn
to surround the Ermine.  (Ermine will go after Red Squirrels if mice/voles
are not readily available, but it is tough to catch Red Squirrels, and
Ermine often starve.)  I didn't want the Ermine to lose its prey, so I
opened the door to frighten off the crows.  The Ermine disappeared into an
old tree stump with the squirrel.  I looked up the size of both mammals -
while they are about the same length, a Red Squirrel is anywhere from 2 to 4
times the weight of an Ermine!  It was an impressive feat for the Ermine to
capture and carry the Red Squirrel!

I also observed 2 Boreal Chickadees along the Northville-Placid Trail (S) in
Long Lake on 5/9/17.

We have had a huge, male Black Bear hanging around outside our home at night
- I posted a photo on my Facebook page below.

Joan Collins

President, NYS Ornithological Association

Editor, New York Birders

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell

(518) 624-5528 home