This morning, I cleared out the north end trail on the west side of the East
Pond at Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge, making it usable for the 2017 Shorebird
Season.

The water level on the pond is high and I would advise against attempting to
bird the pond for now. Compounding the water level problem, is an algae mat
that makes viewing where you are wading impossible. Additionally, the thickness
of the Algal mat, made it hard work when walking the pond, as I leaned today.
Yes, I did walk in a bit - up to the area known as Sanderling Point. It was for
testing purposes and a bit tricky. In some areas, water was above my calf.

The water level read out is 1.36 which is high. For this time of the year, we
should have been at the very least 1.20 (yeah we had rain but what about
draining early?) Nevertheless, I did note shorebirds beyond Dead Man's Cove.
Highlighted by 4 STILT SANDPIPERS. They were feeding in a mixed flock
consisting of Short-billed Dowitchers, Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs and Peeps.
The latter hugging the Phragmites as they sought any open shoreline.

I ventured out to the southend of the pond as well, though I opted not to clear
the trail on that end. The fence is still up but there a huge sign at the trail
entrance indicating the area is part of the Refuge. No doubt, brought on by the
hubbub over the fence that sprung up right under NPS' noses.

On the south end there were the usual suspects including a few Least
Sandpipers. A banded Glossy Ibis was the highlight as well as a marauding young
Peregrine Falcon that was nicely harassed by a few Common Terns who did not put
up with its presence.

For those of you interested in what the fence looks like on the south end and
what the pond looks like in terms of the water level. Here is a link to some
photos I took by phone.
https://flickr.com/photos/37626025@N05/sets/72157683844150731

For those of you unfamiliar with the nomenclature of the various spots on the
pond. Here is a link to an East Pond map that should help.
http://birdingdude.blogspot.com/2016/06/jamaica-bay-wildlife-refuge-east-pond.html?m=1

Many thanks who have taken the time to contact NPS regarding the East Pond
access issue. I will update the listserves, if I learn anything new.

Cheers,

--------
"I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of
others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence." ~ Frederick
Douglass

風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire