I haven't been out birding for a while, and therefore was wondering what
species sighting would get me to sit down and post to this listserve once
again ? In this case, I actually did guess correctly, with "form" carrying
the day...north shore of L.I., mid-August , C.Nighthawk - yes !

At ~ 7:30 PM, while Pia & Ralph Miele were serving dessert, I happened to
look up and saw a single C.Nighthawk feeding while heading east to west.
The bird flew out of sight fairly quickly, but not before 5 "non-birders"
saw the nighthawk's outline and graceful flight. A quick trip home produced
a field guide which enabled them to see what their newest "life-species"
really looked like !

Cheers,
Bob