Hamilton, Essex, and Franklin Counties

I continue to find Red and White-winged Crossbills in the central - northern
Adirondack areas.  Red Crossbills are widespread (on 8/10, calling Red
Crossbills flew over the Round Lake Trail in Long Lake).  White-winged
Crossbills have been found in Bloomingdale locations, North Hudson along the
Blueridge Road, Tahawus Road in Newcomb, and the Spring Pond Bog Preserve in
Tupper Lake.  Within the past week, female Red Crossbills have been observed
with males, so it is likely the young are old enough to be left alone in
nests now.  I have not yet observed a fledgling, but expect to see one any
day.  Red Crossbills appear to be feeding exclusively on Tamarack cones.
White-winged Crossbills often perch in the Tamaracks, and I've observed them
foraging on Tamarack cones with Red Crossbills.  But I haven't observed a
lot of White-winged Crossbill foraging behavior.

The Tupper Lake Sandhill Cranes were observed on 8/14/17 along Dugal Road
(N) feeding in tall vegetation, so you could only see their heads.  We only
saw 3 (one juvenile) - hopefully, the second juvenile was out of sight for
some reason.

Also on 8/14/17, the Virginia Rail family was still at Shaw Pond in Long
Lake, along with a singing Northern Waterthrush and calling Merlin!
Flycatchers, including Olive-sided, were abundant in a remote wetland in the
Spring Pond Bog Preserve in Tupper Lake.

Since we no longer have dogs, I've been feeding Wild Turkeys for the past
couple years outside our home.  Wild Turkey behavior, especially male
behavior, is fascinating and often very comical.  The dominant male spends a
lot of time attacking our cars trying to get rid of the other male he
"sees"!  It is relentless behavior and I often can't even chase him away!

Out birding on 8/14/17 (beautiful day!) in the Long Lake - Newcomb - Minerva
- North Hudson - Tupper Lake area, we found the following 61 species:

Canada Goose

Wood Duck - many

Mallard

Wild Turkey - many

Pied-billed Grebe - 2 at Shaw Pond

Rock Pigeon

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Virginia Rail - several at Shaw Pond!

Sandhill Crane - 3 along Dugal Road in Tupper Lake (only one juvenile
observed - hopefully, the 2nd one was just out of sight)

Killdeer - heard at Shaw Pond

Ring-billed Gull

Common Loon - 2 on Simon Pond in Tupper Lake

American Bittern - 1 observed flying over the marsh in Tupper Lake

Great Blue Heron - many!

Turkey Vulture

Bald Eagle - juvenile

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - drumming

Downy Woodpecker

Hairy Woodpecker

Black-backed Woodpecker - 1 drumming and calling along the Blueridge Road

Northern Flicker

Merlin - heard at Shaw Pond

Olive-sided Flycatcher - calling and singing in a remote marsh at the Spring
Pond Bog Preserve

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher - observed at the remote marsh at the Spring Pond
Bog Preserve

Alder Flycatcher - observed at the remote marsh at the Spring Pond Bog
Preserve

Eastern Phoebe - observed at the remote marsh at the Spring Pond Bog
Preserve

Blue-headed Vireo

Red-eyed Vireo

Gray Jay - 5 (2 at the Round Lake Trailhead and 3 at Sabattis Bog in Long
Lake)

Blue Jay

American Crow

Common Raven

Black-capped Chickadee

Boreal Chickadee - 11! (6 along the Blueridge Road and 5 at the Newcomb
Marsh - nice views here!)

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Winter Wren - calling at the remote marsh at the Spring Pond Bog Preserve

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Swainson's Thrush - several along the Hudson River eating berries (with
Hermit Thrushes and Amer. Robins)

Hermit Thrush - several (one observed along the Hudson River) some singing

American Robin

Gray Catbird - Newcomb marsh

European Starling - Tupper Lake

Cedar Waxwing

Purple Finch - several

Red Crossbill - many! (8 along the Blueridge Road, 6 at the Newcomb Marsh
and more flying around)

White-winged Crossbill - at least 2 along the Blueridge Road and at least 2
at the remote marsh at the Spring Pond Bog Preserve - nice views of 2
different males!

American Goldfinch

Northern Waterthrush - dawn singing at Shaw Pond!

Black-and-white Warbler - nice view

Nashville Warbler - nice views

Common Yellowthroat - many

Magnolia Warbler - nice view

Chestnut-sided Warbler - juvenile

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Canada Warbler - lovely views!

Chipping Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow - some still singing

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Scarlet Tanager - one female in Tupper Lake

Joan Collins

President, NYS Ornithological Association

Editor, New York Birders

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell

(518) 624-5528 home