It looks like the tern gathering thing, at least on the flats, may be over
for the year. Just 3 Royals, 9 Least, and a handful of Commons (although
Doug Futuyma mentioned larger numbers to the west of the flats). So when a
Black Tern came in, it was on its own.

Shorebirds included 17 species (18 if you like to split your Willets), but
nothing unusual - unless you want to say Solitary Sandpiper for the
location. Interesting that all the Short-billed Dowtichers at Jamaica Bay
are juveniles. Only 1 at Cupsogue was a young 'un, not that there were all
that many overall (maybe 20). Theory, anyone? A few Red Knots included two
juveniles. Surprisingly few peep around, so overall a better balance than
I've gotten used to at Jamaica Bay of late (95% Semi Sands). Lots of
Oystercatchers gathering like they've been known to in places, although I
didn't know Cupsogue to be such a place. I estimated 90 of them on the
rising tide.

I knew it was time to leave when the shorebirds on one of the sandbars were
replaced by a juvenile Peregrine. I managed some distant shots of it, then
closer ones in flight. An interesting Peregrine it is, probably the darkest
one I've ever seen. The upperparts are pretty much black, putting thoughts
of Peale's into my head. But it's not.

Steve Walter

Bayside, NY