Jamaica Bay NWR - Trucks blocking access to East Pond trail - Call NYC 311
complaint campaign

On Sunday, Queens County Bird Club held a field trip at Jamaica Bay NWR.  We
experienced difficulty in accessing East Pond via the southern entrance due
to "Call A Head" trucks blocking access to the clearly marked trail.  Dozens
of their trucks were parked so closely together that we had to squeeze
between trucks in order to proceed.  We met a National Parks Service ranger
who advised us to call 311.  I did so, and the received the following
response:
"The Police Department responded to the complaint and with the information
available observed no evidence of the violation at that time."
I don't understand how they could fail to observe over 50 trucks being
parked on a public street!

I contacted both NPS and Dan Mundy of Jamaica Bay EcoWatchers.  Dan
forwarded my complaint to a Community Board member who might be able to
help.  Dan is requesting that as many birders as possible call 311 to
complain.  With multiple complaints, the police supervisor is forced to pay
attention.  And the Community Board can have a list of complaints that are
being ignored.

If you have visited Jamaica Bay East pond lately or plan to do so, and you
encounter these trucks parked on the street, please call 311, or complain
via the NYC 311 website.  Dan suggested the best time to call is 4-5 pm when
there are maximum trucks, and to state the problem is "now".  The street
that "Call A Head" is blocking is a public street called "East 1st Road just
east of Cross Bay Blvd., Broad Channel, NY".

If you file a complaint before this Thursday, please email me the Complaint
Number.  I will compile a list and send it to Dan Mundy and the Community
Board member.

Thank you for your help.

Nancy Tognan
VP, Queens County Bird Club