Went to KM and Puddler's Marsh Montezuma today given the recent influx of
shorebirds as reported by others.

Started on Towpath road with the idea of getting some passerines, waders,
waterfowl and maybe a few shorebirds. It was late morning so the lighting
was great. There was a grater grating Towpath! road!!  Its still bad but
its getting better. Very muddy in spots. Highlights were large number of
BLACK CROWNED NIGHT HERONS. I counted more than 30 in the air with many
more in the trees by Puddler's. There were also 2 EASTERN WOOD-PEWEES down
low by the road calling and singing which was neat along with other
passerines.

Then I went to East Road and it was during the eclipse time. At first, the
shimmer was bad and it was brutally hot but as the eclipse progressed it
got cooler and the shimmer went away making for excellent viewing from East
Road to the NE part of KM Marsh. Both phalarope species were easily found.
The RED-NECKED PHALAROPE was swimming in the water with two and then
eventually 3 WILSON'S PHALAROPES running around likely crazy. Their light
plumage and behavior made it easy to find them. Additionally, there were
nice numbers of STILT SANDPIPERS, lots of dowitchers. I saw SHORT-BILLED
DOWITCHERS for sure, but there were many more that were too distant for me
to call. I was impressed by the number of PECTORAL SANDPIPERS and in the
drier areas LEAST SANDPIPERS. I didn't see as many SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS
as I expected. There were also many KILLDEER, several SEMIPALAMATED PLOVERS
and 2 BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS.  The habitat is starting to look very good for
baird's  and buff-breasted sandpipers as there is a lot of drier areas.
Hopefully these birds will show up soon.

My ebird list can be found here with some poor photos...

Good birding to all

Dave Nicosia